In the 18th century this hotel used to be a coaching inn and it represents a History lesson in itself. It was called the “Hôtel de France” and became the “Hôtel de Paris” in 1855. It was the favourite address for a large number of learned persons from the higher realms of culture and politics. Even the stones have retained the memory of Prosper Mérimée who stayed here in 1836, of Jules Michelet the famous historian, and even of George Sand and Colette the unforgettable women writers. From this prestigious place the visitor can find the most remarkable monuments and museums.
It is also the starting point for nice walks in the historical town centre, hemmed in by the loop of the river Doubs.